Monday, April 13, 2015

Can i learn to speak an endangered language?

       Can I learn an endangered language? I hope so! I have a passion for learning languages , and have currently came from learning Ukrainian. It's not easy but it's not impossible! My goal is to learn endangered languages and help those languages grow.  A lot of them are really cool!
             I researched the most endangered languages of the world and found that there are many. But one that really caught my mind was that of the Irish language. Also known as Gaelic, the Irish language began to decline at the start of the British rule in Ireland in the seventeenth century. The fate of the language was influenced by the increasing power of the British, and by the end of the British rule, the language was spoken by less than 15% of the national population! Efforts have been made to revive the language but those efforts have not been too successful.
           This has motivated me to learn and explore the world and language of the Irish. I'm so excited! It may be random and foreign to me but that's what's so awesome about it. I'm so interested to see what the Irish are all about!
         I may fail and get frustrated with the Irish language, but I know I'm determined to see through this awesome project. So stay tuned, learn some words, and have fun with the videos I post! This is gonna be the best rollercoaster ride ever!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope that you'll be able to learn this language because it really is interesting. It doesn't sound pretty, more like someone drowning in beer and trying to sing a jig all at the same time, but it really does sound fun to make this language come back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brittany! :D and yes it does! Hahaha and yes it really is. There's a lot to it. First I have to get the accent down then study the vowels then study the word stress then the consonants and etc etc but it's really fun all the same

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your topic so much. Endangered languages have a certain beauty that just peaks my interest, I'm excited to see your presentation.

    ReplyDelete